Monday, May 2, 2011

TN/VA Picture, Wild Animals, Weight Check, and Lots of Food!


On Thursday (4-28) I decided to take a zero hiking day and resupplied at a grocery store which had dry ice in the refrigerated section.  There was a sign on the door that said DON'T OPEN because they were trying to preserve the food.  It seemed like very few businesses in Damascus have generators.  I sent my sleeping bag to my daughter to cut space and weight and bought a "space blanket"-shiny, thin, silver blanket they give runners after a long race.  On Friday (4-29) while we were sleeping in the hostel, the power was restored.  I weighed myself before I left the hostel and I weighed 143 pounds.  I started the hike weighing 165 pounds.  This weight loss seems to be similar to others.  I hiked from 7:45 AM-4:30 PM and went 15.8 miles.  I stayed at the Lost Mountain Shelter.  This was the first day I felt extremely tired in the afternoon.  On Saturday (4-30) condensation developed inside my space blanket.  I hiked 17.4 miles from 6:45 AM until 6:00 PM.  I set up my tent at my own campsite near the AT after passing the Grayson Highland State Park.  I saw wild horses and the most breathtaking views of the whole adventure to date.  The trail was very rugged and rocky but the climb was well worth it.  It was spectacular!  There was no cell phone service.  On Sunday (5-1) condensation developed again inside my space blanket creating concern that I shouldn't have sent my daughter my Marmot sleeping bag.  She is sending it back to me this week.  I hiked from 6:45 PM-3:30 PM and covered 16.0 miles.  I saw big horned steers grazing right along the trail.  There were 10-15 animals around but here's a picture of a few of them.
For dinner I ate a medium pizza all by myself.  I followed that up with cherry pie, ice cream, a Coke, and the best chocolate milkshake all served at Jerry's Restaurant which is two miles off the trail.  Yum yum!  After checking the internet, I had a Klondike bar and another Coke before leaving. A former hiker and trail angel drove me from the trail to the restaurant and back again.  I walked 1/4 mile to the Troutdale Baptist Church Hostel.  It was quite nice and I was the only occupant for the night.  After I showered, I listened to the radio and heard the announcement that Osama bin Laden was killed.  Once again, I had no cell phone service.  Monday (5-2) I was back at the same restaurant when it opened at 7 AM.  After a breakfast of biscuits and gravy, two eggs, sausage, toast, oatmeal and coffee, the trail angel (Gary) drove me back to where I had finished walking yesterday.  I've gone 515 miles.

5 comments:

  1. Such an amazing journey! We continue to hold u up in our prayers.... Thank u so much for sharing it with us!

    LCCS 4th graders

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! the weight loss is something i never really thought about but makes total sense! love the updates! keep up the hard work!

    ~the harps

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! We are definitely impressed! Keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Your friends in Brockport are thinking of you. Holly (Maar) Sheehan

    ReplyDelete
  4. 515mi?! Whoop! Whoop! you are 1/4 way thru! Congrats. It has rained almost EVERY day here in Oh, but it hasn't slowed you down...even looks drier where you are! Truly an amazing job.
    Hope your sleeping bag finds you soon and you can have a good nights rest....
    Keep on Truckin'!
    Michelle Schulz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad things are progressing good for you. Thank you for keeping us up to date on your trip. Great reading about it. My hubby took on building us a log home from scratch at your age. Took him three years to finish. We have been in it for almost 8 years now. How the time flies. You will have some wonderful stories to tell when you get home. Stay safe, warm and healthy. God Bless.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete