Saturday, May 14, 2011

Keffer Oak and Audie Leon Murphy Memorial


This is Keffer Oak and it is the largest tree on the southern part of the AT.  It is about 300 years old and a few years ago the girth measured more than 18 feet!

On Monday (5-9) after packing and having a breakfast of cereal with blueberries and delicious french toast, Dan drove me back to Pearisburg to resume my hike.  I began hiking at 9:30 AM and had a long climb in the early afternoon.  I took a refreshing nap after the climb.  I tented at Symms Gap Meadow.  I had a great view of a West Virginia town about five miles away on the VA/WV border.  I hiked only 11.9 miles, as the backpack was very heavy with plenty of food.  After seven weeks, I have hiked 46 days, taken three no hiking days, and have gone 637.8 miles for an average of 13.0 miles/day for 49 days.  I'm very happy about how far I have been able to go!  On Tuesday (5-10) I started hiking at 6:40 AM.  I had been out of water since Monday night.  The nearest water was 6.5 miles ahead.  I saw another large black snake in the middle of a very narrow part of the trail.  I had to touch his tail with my hiking stick to get him to move out of the way.  I fell while I was trying to get over a large tree that was blocking the path.  I wasn't hurt but I got a little muddy.  I took a nap in a shaded area in the early afternoon.  I had a big climb (1,000+ feet in just 1.3 miles) that was very challenging.  I ate my dinner of mashed potatoes and salmon with the handle of my toothbrush!  I couldn't find my spoon or fork after looking for 10 minutes so the handle had to do!  I gave some snacks away to some hikers when I got to the shelter to lighten my load.  I had no cell phone service.  I stopped hiking at 6:50 PM after covering 14.2 miles, as rain was eminent.  There were heavy thunderstorms overnight.  On Wednesday (5-11) I began hiking again at 6:40 AM.  Once again I had no water from the night before.  I hiked about 5 miles and found a spring with water coming out of a rock.  I drank the water since I was out of Aquamira (water purifier).  There was trail magic along the way which always brightens my day!  I saw another box turtle on the trail.  I fell on a wet rock which was really a step but thankfully, again, I wasn't hurt.  I stopped hiking at 8 PM as it started to rain.  I tented directly on the AT, the only time I have done that.  I went 18.3 miles.  It was a long but successful day.  Thursday (5-12) was cloudy and foggy all day.  I had a 1,600 foot climb in the early afternoon and visited the Audie Leon Murphy Monument.  

Rain and thunder started at 3:30 PM.  I stopped hiking at 5 PM and actually set up my tent inside a shelter.  I covered 15.9 miles.  I got an early start by hiking at 6 AM on Friday (5-13).  I saw a third box turtle.  I had two difficult ascents and an especially dangerous one at the Dragon's Tooth.  It was VERY rocky, steep, and rugged. If I would have fallen, it was very likely I would have been injured--it was that extreme. I hiked until 12:45 PM covering 12.6 miles and met Li'l Bit (Wendy Palmer, a thru-hiker from 2004, a friend of my cousin, Pat, in FL) and she took me and three other hikers to Trail Days (a big hiker festival) back in Damascus, VA.  It should a fun weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Way to go, Buckeyeflash. Sounds like it is going better than even your expectations. Our whole family all anticipates your blogs and are cheering for you. I checked out the Damascus Trail Days and it looks like a lot of fun. It will be a welcome break.
    BTW, Tribe beat Seattle last night 5-4 with a Travis Hafner walk off HR in ninth with 2 out. Finally got a good crowd--33,420 with 8000 walkups. Keep on truckin and go Tribe!!!!!

    Larry Bender

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    Barb and I have been following you the whole way. Friday we were driving back from Ashville, NC and passed Pearisburg, perhaps our paths crossed. Keep on truckin.

    Tom and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoy your blogs. Learning some history as you travel also. I did not realize that Audie Murphy had died in Va. Knew some of the other information. Hope you had fun at the trail days. A friend and I went fishing with my son last night. First time in many a year, so maybe your spirit is rubbing off.
    Have a good week. Keep safe and probably soon it will be more than warm for the days of hiking. We did get about a 4-5 day break in rain in our part of Ohio, but is raining today again. May God Bless and Keep you safe. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy hope you find a purifier,...could be trouble! Sounds like the food along this trail has been amazing! You should be very proud of your mileage>>>You're a machine!
    sunnier skies ahead!
    Keep on Truckin'
    Michelle Schulz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the call! It was a very pleasant surprise. Reading your blog and following your hiking pathway, makes for a very educational and interesting experience. I am just glad that I am doing the reading and not the hiking. I would have wimped out after the first day! Stay safe. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. BG: I remain continually impressed with your progress, and positive attitude. I have left 2 brief phone messages, but you may not have received them.

    My best as always.........jb

    ReplyDelete