Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pearisburg, VA

After a very long and cold night in the shelter on Thursday, I hiked from 7 AM-5 PM and covered 16.8 miles.  By mid morning the sun came out and it was a beautiful day.  I met a section hiker (Jerry Lehman) and I may see him again when I travel through PA.  He lives about an hour north of Bake Oven Knob, PA.  This is how I REALLY spend most of my time on the trail.  Ha ha!  I came across this on the trail and it made me laugh!
















Friday (May 6) was my longest day of hiking to date--24.5 miles.  It took me from 6:30 AM-7 PM.  I hiked a long way so I could meet friends at a certain spot on Sunday.  Once again the weather was great.  I ate dinner and resupplied at a small general store 1/2 mile off the trail.  On Saturday (May 7) I hiked from 6:30 PM-1:30 PM and reached Woods Hole Hostel.  I only went 12.9 miles but the second part of the hike was a difficult climb and very rocky.  I was very happy to get my sleeping bag back and threw out the space blanket which kept getting wet with condensation.  I showered and ate a delicious dinner at the hostel but I opted to stay in my tent that night and it was very rainy.  On Sunday (May 8) I awoke early and packed my backpack up while I was still in my tent to try and keep my gear dry.  The rain stopped right before breakfast.  I left the hostel at 9:10 AM and walked a 1/2 mile back uphill to the AT.  I hiked 11.5 miles into Pearisburg, VA and met Dan and Vangie Gordon.  I toured VA Tech in Blacksburg and had lunch at O'Charley's in Christianburg where they live.  At their house I was able to shower and do laundry which are such blessings!  I resupplied at Kroger's and they served me a wonderful steak dinner and pie for dessert.  Seeing people I know along the trail is wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to meet up with some friends along the way. I am sure that is a welcome break. Sounds like you are not spending too much time in front of the TV. LOL. You are not missing much anyway, except even though I live in Ohio I am a Steeler fan and this is my first time ever watching DWTS. Hines Ward is doing great. Have a good week and hopefully you will have more sunny days. May God Bless and Keep you safe and well. Mary

    ReplyDelete