Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gene Espy and McAffe Knob

Saturday (5-14) was a fun, interesting, and productive day in Damascus at Trail Days.  I showered, did laundry, and resupplied.  The never-ending saga with my sleeping bag continues!  I resent the sleeping bag back to Cindi AGAIN!  This time it is for good!  The sleeping bag that has been sent back and forth is a 30 degree sleeping bag but now that the weather is getting warmer, I bought a 45 degree sleeping bag.  It's smaller and lighter weight which is always a good thing.  I also bought more Aquamira--the water treatment.  The annual hiker parade brought all the "crazies" out in full force!  Quite a few dressed wildly and carried large squirt guns and water balloons while in the parade.  I met Gene Espy.  He is an 89-year-old man who was the second person to ever thru-hike the trail.  He did it in 1951--60 years ago!!  Earl Shaffer, now deceased, was the first person to thru-hike in 1948.  Here is our picture and you can check out my beard too!

It rained on and off all day.  I met up with Swamp Dawg and got a chance to talk to him for awhile.  He is doing well and hiking with two men and two women.  He is averaging 10-12 miles/day and having fun.  He is a great guy and I miss him but I'm about 160 miles ahead of him.  I know we'll continue to be friends long after this adventure is over.  On Sunday (5-15) there was more rain overnight.  I expected to leave Trail Days at 10 AM to return back to Catawba, VA where I was picked up on Friday.  Instead we didn't leave Damascus until 12:30 PM.  It took until 5:30 PM to get back due to an accident that tied up traffic for 10-15 miles on I-81.  So at 5:35 PM, I started my brief hike for the day.  I reached McAfee Knob, said to provide the best view in VA.  It was spectacular!!  Here I am in the picture.

At 8:15 PM I reached Campbell Shelter after hiking 4.4 miles for the day.  I set up my tent in the shelter since there was only one other person in it.  There were no mice to worry about since I was inside my tent.  I began hiking at 7:35 AM on Monday (5-16).  I only made it 40 yards from the shelter when I took my first and only tumble of the day.  I stepped on a piece of tree bark and down I went.  Other than mud on my pant leg, I was fine.  After lunch fatigue hit, and at 1:30 PM I found a shaded spot right next to the trail.  I put down my Tyvek sheet, wadded up my jacket as a pillow, and took an hour nap--refreshing!  At 5 PM I reached Daleville, VA and had pizza and salad at Pizza Hut.  I expected to hike a few more miles but the sky looked threatening.  Right across the street was a Howard Johnson motel and I saw a sign that a hot breakfast was included for only $40.10, tax included.  This also gave me a chance to shower, charge my phone, dry out my gear, sleep in a bed, and have a decent breakfast in the morning.  I was sold!  I hiked 15.4 miles.  After 8 weeks (56 days) I've had 4 non-hiking days and have gone 718.6 miles averaging 12.83 miles/day. 

3 comments:

  1. Bob, Fantastic pic of you on McAfee Knob! You look good with the beard and what a blessing to have met so many wonderful people and live a dream!
    I only wish I could be there to hike with you! God speed to you and your adventure.
    Sincerely,
    Your Old Student,
    Mark Gwynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you would get me no way near the edge you were on in that picture, but it is a wonderful picture. Glad you are enjoying yourself and getting to see and do some other things along the way.
    My question to you would be. What is the most different thing that you have experienced, compared to what you thought it might before you started on this journey?
    Keep safe, may God be with you and Bless your trip.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow WOw WOW! What a view, reminds me of Half Dome in Yosemite. What a great week you are having> meeting Gene Espy was probably pretty amazing and the parade sounds like a hoot! Glad to hear about Swamp Dog and that he is still on the Trail.
    That sleeping bag detail has been quite the nuisance..good to hear that Poppa Bear found one "just right"!...which leads me to my question...
    Do bears really poop in the woods? haha
    718.6 mi....you ARE doing it!!!
    Keep on Truckin'
    Michelle Schulz

    ReplyDelete