Saturday, May 28, 2011

Shenandoah National Park and Lots of Trail Magic

On Wednesday (5-25) I left at 8:45 AM for a 5 mile hike into Waynesboro on a well worn path.  It was the same path that another hiker left on 45 minutes earlier.  After 15 minutes of hiking, I realized that I had not seen any white blazes so I went back to the shelter.  The unmarked path next to the shelter was the correct trail.  It was marked with a white blaze about 100 yards down the path.  I was glad I got on the right path on the second try.  I arrived in the outskirts of Waynesboro before noon to find trail magic of cold drinks.  I hiked into Waynesboro with two other thru-hikers to Mang's Chinese Garden for lunch.  The buffet was very good for a low price of $7.15.  I capped off my lunch with pie and ice cream.  I went across the street to a Salvation Army store and bought a belt for a dollar, but because it was Wednesday, 1/2 off day, I only paid 50 cents.  What a bargain!  Since I have lost weight on the trail my pants are too loose so now I have solved that problem.  I got a free shower at the YMCA, went to the library and used the internet, and crossed the street to the Grace Lutheran Church where I would spend the night.  At 6:30 PM, they fed hikers dinner of soup, grilled cheese, salad, lasagna, cheesecake and ice cream.  Sleeping there was a problem due to a loud snorer that drove me out of the basement sleeping area to the music room where I slept-sort of-on three padded chair cushions pushed together.  On Thursday (5-26) I was up at 5:30 AM to pack, eat, and take the shuttle to the trail.  After completing the mandatory permit application at the entrance to the Shenandoah National Park, I began to hike at 7:45 AM.  There were no long climbs but many 300-500 ft ascends and descends.  Due to the poor night of sleep, I needed to rest twice in the shade--short naps.  During the hike I crossed Skyline Drive 10 times.  I finally arrived at the Blackrock Hut at 7:15 PM.  The SNP refers to permanent structures for overnight sleeping as a hut rather than a shelter.  I covered 19.9 miles.  Friday (5-27) I began hiking at 7:25 AM on a gorgeous day.  It was cool and clear.  I immediately climbed to 3,100 feet to Blackrock Mountain.  Here is a picture of it.
I again crossed Skyline Drive an additional 10 times.  I saw three southbound hikers who told me about some upcoming trail magic at campsite 55 in the Loft Mountain Campground.  Eventually I arrived there to find a large trailer and a man who worked on the trail for the Potomac AT Club.  He had soft drinks and snacks for us.  After enjoying his hospitality, I walked to a campstore and bought energy bars, chocolate milk, and a pack of Hostess cupcakes.  I started hiking again at 11 AM.  At 4:20 PM I arrived at Smith Roach Gap--yes, not Smith Rd--to enjoy super trail magic.  Every year on the Friday before Memorial Day, a hiking couple (she's hiked the AT twice) sets up two tents with chairs and host a big picnic for thru-hikers.  There was a large amount of food including hotdogs, hamburgers, potato salad, baked beans, donuts, homemade cookies, watermelon and pop.  Wow!  A hikers delight for sure!  There were about a dozen hikers  when I was there enjoying the feast.  Rain was threatening so I hurried about 1 mile to Hightop Hut.  I set up my tent and got water out of the spring and was elated with the day.  I hiked 21.4 miles.

3 comments:

  1. It is so nice to hear of all the good people who do things along the way to make your trip easier. Have been to this part of the state several times, but driving, not walking. Have a wonderful week-end and a great next week. Looks like your family is meeting up with you. Have a great reunion with them. You are getting close to our neck of the woods as we are right across the river from W.Va. Have a good week. May God Bless and Keep you. A thank you to all our service men and women who serve to keep us free, now and in the past. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bob, Hey...just a thought! Seeing how your losing all that weight, I saw a couple of nice rocks in some of your pics, and thought you could throw a couple in your backpack for a keepsake to bring back for us!!! (a piece of granite would be great!) LOL
    Fantastic hiking, great speed, good health....God is blessing you! Thanks for all the nice details of your day.
    God speed,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,Bob. So happy to see you are making such great progress. Didn't know there was so much trail magic out there. If I had known that,I would have joined you. Besides that,I like naps and Twinkies. Actually,if you remember I have hiked that part of the AT last Fall. Well, at least part of it--a very small part--when we took our trip to Skyline Drive.
    Well, Buckeyeflash, keep on flashing, er hiking. Looks like you are going to make it all the way.

    P.S. The Tribe beat the Rays 7-3 on Sat. and are 6.5 in front.

    Larry Bender

    ReplyDelete