Thursday, April 28, 2011

Damascus, Virginia


On Sunday (4-24) after a five star breakfast at the Mountain Harbor B&B and Hostel, I began hiking at 9 AM.  I hiked until 5:45 PM, covering 15.9 miles.  I got lost for about 10 minutes as the trail appeared to go one way at a large rock.  Instead, the trail continued straight on the other side of the large boulder.  I set up my tent near the trail for the night.  Monday (4-25) was another long day (6:50 AM-6:20 PM) hiking 19.2 miles to Watauga Lake Shelter.  I saw the beautiful Laurel Fork Falls which is pictured above.  Right after seeing the falls, a snake met me on the trail.  I ended up tossing it into the water with one of my hiking poles.  I saw many slackpackers.  Bumble bees and butterflies are numerous.  My appetite is voracious as I eat something at each break.  Tuesday (4-26) began week six and I hiked from 6:30 AM-5 PM covering 17.4 miles.  I tented right off of the AT in a patch of grass.  I saw a box turtle in the middle of the trail reminding me of a similar turtle (named Myrtle) I had in 1st grade.  Wednesday (4-27) the weather report said rain was highly likely but it didn't rain during the hike (6:50 AM-4:45 PM).  The terrain was relatively easy as I hiked 22.3 miles (a new PR) into Damascus, VA.  I have finished three states--GA, NC, TN.  The AT covers 550 miles in VA, by far the longest state.  I stayed at Dave's Place Hostel.  Dinner was lasagna, salad, and ice cream and cookies for dessert at a local families house.  They fed about 15 hikers but they had enough food for 30 hikers.  The man picked up hikers at a gazebo at the local park and drove us to his house.  His business is raising goats and piglets.  Thursday (4-28) I awoke to find no power and the news of a very severe storm hitting the area.  There were reportedly several deaths and several buildings were destroyed all within 15 minutes from me.  Most businesses and the library are closed perhaps for several days due to no power.  I planned to take a zero hiking day but I am now reconsidering and may hike this afternoon if the weather continues to clear.  I have traveled 463 miles in 37 days, an average of 12.5 miles per day.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Bob your flying through this. Alabama had a devastating tornado that hit in Tuscaloosa. Keep up the good work.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are alright and did not get affected by the bad storms. The falls are beautiful. Pray your next state goes good for you. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. 22.3?! whoop whoop! way to increase your avg this mo.glad you have been side stepping the worst of the weather. keep the positive attitude...you've come a loong way in a short time.
    Michelle Schulz

    ReplyDelete