Saturday, April 2, 2011



On Monday, March 28 I left the motel in Helen, GA.  I began to hitchhike back to the trail---about 9 miles.  After waiting about 10 minutes and counting 22 vehicles going by me, I was picked up by a local retired man.  He went 8 miles out of his way (one way) to get a few other hikers and me back to the AT.

I started hiking at 12:20p.m. and with only perhaps 15 minutes of breaks, I reached the Deep Gap shelter at 7:20p.m.  After quickly putting up my tent and eating tuna on a tortilla, it was quite dark and time to sleep.  Monday night was cold in the low 30-degree range.  The morning trek was short, as I only needed to hike 4 miles to get to a road, where I was picked up by the owner of the Blueberry Patch Hostel, a well known place to stay.  Seven of us stayed there.  We appreciated having our wash done and being driven to town to resupply and get a good meal at a buffet.  I was even able to get on the internet at the local library. 

On Wednesday I began to hike with "Swamp Dawg" George Lowry of Brunswick, Georgia.  He is a 65-year-old retiree who has section hiked the AT over many years.  This is his first attempt to thru-hike.  He is easy going and a fountain of knowledge about the trail and very importantly he hikes at my pace.  I hope that we still stay together as long as possible.  It is nice to have someone to talk with on a long hike.  On Wednesday we hiked 11.8 miles and entered North Carolina.  One state down and hopefully 13 more to go!  On Thursday we hiked 12.5 miles.  I tented both nights as Swamp Dawg stayed in two shelters.  Both nights were cold with frost on the tent and the winds swirling.  On Friday we hiked 15.9 miles to stay in a motel in Franklin, NC.  Today, Saturday, we resupplied this afternoon. Tomorrow morning we will be back on the trail.  I have completed 107.7 miles of the AT after 12 days or 9 miles per day.


Hiking uphill with a backpack of about 33-35 pounds makes me feel like a mule as the hiking sticks serve to help pull me upward.  Then on the descent the hiking sticks are needed to help me from going too fast. The reasonably level areas are obviously preferred.  Even then the sticks can prevent a fall as the rocks and tree roots are very common.

2 comments:

  1. Glad things are going good for you and you have found someone to share the hike with. See you have a smile on your face, so that is a good sign that all is well. Take care and continue to have a good time. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your blog and following your progress. While I'm comfortable in my home or office, I'm living vicarioulsy through your amazing and exciting journey. Glad that all seems to be going well. Enjoy and keep us posted on your adventure.

    ReplyDelete