Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Smokies

On Friday (4-8) I hiked 13.8 miles and stayed at the Russell Field Shelter and on Saturday (4-9) I hiked 14.7 miles and stayed at the Silers Bald Shelter.  On Sunday (4-10) I hiked 10.0 miles and stayed at the Mt. Collins Shelter.  I climbed the observation tower at Clingmans Dome with an elevation of 6,643 feet.  This was the beautiful view from the tower.  The mountain in the distance is Mt. LeConte.
 On Monday (4-11) I stayed at the Pecks Corner Shelter after hiking 14.8 miles.  On Tuesday (4-12) I hiked 12.9 miles and stayed at the Cosby Knob Shelter.  Last night (4-13) I stayed at the Standing Bear Farm in Hartford, Tennessee after hiking 10.4 miles.

On Wednesday after completing the Smokies, there was "trail magic" provided by four trail angels.  They provided free lunch to thru-hikers consisting of sandwiches, potato salad, deviled eggs, bananas, brownies, cake, and soda.

The weather was great in the Smokies except Monday night and all day on Tuesday.  It was freezing cold, snowing, and winds were 25-40 mph--NOT fun!

On Saturday, Swamp Dawg became faint and felt poorly.  He got progressively slower and decided to get off the trail and see a doctor.  He is on two blood pressure medications and a thyroid medication.  Now I am back to hiking alone.  I hope Swamp Dawg gets better and he is able to return to hiking the trail. 

There are three ridgerunners in the Smokies who overlook things at the shelters.  One told me a small flower which is extremely prevelant is called Spring Beauty.  It is small with white pedals and purple stripes coming down from the center giving it a pink tint. 

After 23 days I have hiked 238.4 miles.  Thanks for your prayers and support!

2 comments:

  1. Just tell Bob that we are with him and I will also send energy to his friend so that he will be able to return at a later date. Thanks for all the info. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beautiful photo from Clingmans Dome. When I was there (by car) several years ago, it was totally socked in by fog. Needless to add, I didn't climb the tower! Virginia M.

    ReplyDelete