Thursday, April 21, 2011

Erwin, TN--One Month of Hiking in the Books!



What do they call this building on the AT?  You'll find the answer at the bottom of the post so read on.....
A.  outhouse
B.  toilet
C.  water closet
D.  bathroom
E.  none of the above

Monday (4-18) was a nice day.  I hiked with a man (his trail name is Lost) from Seattle, WA for much of the day.  He has hiked the Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail all within the last few years.  He is a single, 49-year-old accountant who has hiked more in the last few years than he has worked.  He is short on cash, awaiting a $4,000-$10,000 car accident settlement that he hopes to get while on the AT.  Right now his girlfriend is financing his trip.  He is very knowledgeable about hiking and showed me how to position the hiking sticks to get the maximum push while going up a hill.  I hiked 14.7 miles and tented at Hogback Ridge Shelter.  On Tuesday (4-19) I began hiking at 7:05 AM and hiked to 6:05 PM--long day.  I hiked 20.7 miles all in order to get closer to Erwin, TN where I planned to resupply, shower, do laundry, and check the internet.  I tented at No Business Knob Shelter.  Wednesday (4-20) I awoke at 4:30 AM and started hiking at 5:55 AM wearing a miner's light because sunrise was still a half hour away.  After going 6.3 miles, I arrived at Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin at 8:40 AM.  I got a ride to a small deli called the Greasy Spoon to eat breakfast.  For lunch, the hostel drove hikers to an all-you-can-eat pizza restaurant.  Last night I went to dinner with Ken Kisiel and Judy King (Shelley Mack's brother--a Berea tie) at a Mexican restaurant.  I have hiked 340 miles in 30 days, averaging 11.3 miles a day.  It is strange to think now that a hike of less than 10 miles is an easy hike!

Now the answer to the above question--none of the above!  It's called a privy.

I hope everyone has a nice Easter.

7 comments:

  1. Bummer - Too much of my appalacian background took over - us hillbillys call it an outer at least in eastern kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, I got the answer right. Can't fool us Polish people.

    BTW, there is a shelter near Asheville called Biltmore. I understand it has a FLUSH privy. You may want to check it out.

    Keep on truck'in as they say in the hills.

    Larry Bender

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that! I am also Polish but that is not how I knew...it was from the book I read on SpringBreak.."A Walk in the Woods"!!
    Glad to hear you hooked up w/hiker Lost, hope the the whipper-snapper can keep up w/you! Keep us posted if you hear from Swamp Dog.
    ***HaPpY AnNiVeRsArY***
    Next month I bet you'll be averaging closer to 14mi/day.! Did you find some chocolate cake to celebrate? a Ho-Ho?
    Keep on Truck'in
    Michelle Schulz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I got it wrong as well. Anyhow I was recently on the AT in the smokies. I stayed in a chalet in Gatlinburg, TN and just did day hikes to see what I could tolerate. The most I did was 13 miles. I don't think I would of even did that much if it wasn't for hiking with four twenty year olds. I probably was only carrying 15# compared to their 40# packs.

    I admire what your doing and wish I could do this. However, work ( the four lettered ugly word) get's in the way.

    Anyhow I showed your photo to some people I met on the AT. So if you meet someone and your confused it's most likely who I hiked with.

    We departed at Charlies Bunion and they are really fast hikers. Almost comparable to 4.5 mph jog. This was on 4-19-11 at 1:00 in the afternoon.

    Well I enjoy your blog and wish you the best. I was the guy that asked about the wheel packer. Well we both know that would be more trouble than it's worth. Those trails were really rocky.

    Todd aka trail name: Midlife Crisis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob, Glad you are enjoying the trails. Wish I could be there with you, but doing my my treks at Tri-C right now. Definitely, not as scenic. Stay safe, stay warm, and enjoy the privy experience. Kiss the earth with each footstep you take! Peace, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knew that answer since I sat over many of the same holes as you.
    I will be in NC near Elk Park crossing May 3rd. Need some rides call me plus i am still planning on giving you and whoever else can fit, a ride to and from Trail Days. Hoping I will see some of my buds there! 425 765 1809.
    You are doing great. Just keep walking north
    Li'l Bit '04

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's funny...the name of the man you hiked with was LOST. I enjoy reading the comments and am continuing to send good wishes your way. Cindy

    ReplyDelete