Monday, April 25, 2011

Hump Mountain

(This is Hump Mountain with an elevation of 5,587 feet.  There are many balds like Hump Mt. and the origin remains a mystery to scientists.  Some point to the harsh conditions at high elevations while others claim Indians cleared the mountain for religious ceremonies.  You can see the path I climbed on the left side of the picture.)

Thursday (4-21) I left Erwin and enjoyed a wonderful day.  The weather was beautiful with a breeze.  Erwin's elevation is 1,700 feet and I climbed up and over Unaka Mountain with an elevation of 5,180 feet.  I hiked 17.0 miles.  On Friday (4-22) it rained in the morning as I was taking down my tent.  After the weather cleared, it turned very cloudy and windy and on a descent I fell on wet leaves that were covering some mud.  The ground was quite slippery all day and I almost fell again.  Thankfully I was not hurt.  The big climb began at 3,900 feet and I finally reached the top at 6,275 feet.  Another hiker called it the "Stairway to Heaven."  It was a very rocky and difficult climb.  I hiked 20.4 miles over 12 hours to reach Stan Murray Shelter.  I needed a lot of miles in order to enjoy an easier day on Saturday so I could get to a highly recommended hostel.  At night the winds rocked my tent and I could feel the tent move even though it was staked.  Saturday (4-23) was an easy day of hiking as I covered only 10.9 miles (7 AM-1 PM) to get to Mountain Harbor Hostel.  I needed mole skin on one of my insteps due to a boot problem.  The hostel is a beautiful place.  I am at the end of the NC/TN border.  The next 71 miles are all in TN.  After that I'll be in Virginia for 550 miles.  After 33 days I have hiked 388.2 miles, an average of 11.76 miles.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it over the hump. ;). Hope you had a wonderful Easter. I can not think of any place to be closer to God, here on earth, then in nature. Hope your foot is ok and glad you did not get hurt in your fall. Have a great week. Love reading of your adventure. Mary

    ReplyDelete