Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Slowly Moving Ahead

After a rainy night on Friday, Saturday morning (7-30) was damp, windy, and cold.  Two southbound hikers brought my Aircast brace to me.  They were at the same hostel in Lincoln, NH  where I called for help and where I had stayed  last week.  The Aircast gives my ankle extra support and restricts side-to-side movement.  I spent at least an hour walking with the cast on at the campsite.  It definitely helps but the ankle is still tender and weak.  I walked about 1/4 the speed of a normal person.  Later in the afternoon my food request of a bag of bagels was met as yet another hiker arrived with them.  The hiking community is like a second family to me and we try to help each other as much as possible.  After 2 1/2 days of no hiking, I began hiking on Sunday (7-31) at 6:15 AM.  Much of the trail was steep with rugged descents and unfortunately, it is going to be this way for the rest of the journey.  The time when I need to be 100% is now so I am trying to keep moving but very slowly and carefully.  I reached Franconia Notch at 1 PM and Chet's Hostel at 1:30 PM.  I hiked 4.8 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are able to do some hiking even if it is not as much as you would like to do ever day. My hubby has a saying he uses (probably not getting it just as he says it, but hopefully the meaning will be the same) Day by day it is hard, but inch by inch it is a cinch. So hopefully it will get the same results even if it takes you awhile longer. Keeping you in prayer. May God bless and keep you. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. just caught up on your blog...sorry to hear about your injury, but glad it was not a break! You've come so far...I like what Mary said "inch by inch is a cinch"! It may take you a wee bit longer but you are SO close to your DREAM! Keep up the spirits
    we are cheering for you i OhiO!
    Michelle Schulz

    ReplyDelete