Monday, August 15, 2011

Pilgrim's Leg Infection and Trail Food

Friday (8-12) started for us at 6:40 AM with a steep 500 ft climb and several rock scrambles, all while there was a swirling 50 mph wind.  It was misty with poor visibility.  We descended 2,500 ft before we climbed back up 2,300 ft over Baldpate Mountains East and West.  I took this picture from Baldpate West while I was looking back at Baldpate East.

We finally descended 1,500 ft to Frye Notch Lean-to (shelter) where we tented after going 10.4 miles.  We started our day on Saturday at 7 AM on a cool day.  We reached East B Hill Road where the Pine Ellis Hostel picked us up at 10:45 AM.  We showered, did laundry, and had lunch at a general store.  Pilgrim had a large (size of a softball) red area on his leg with a small cut in the middle.  We stopped at a pharmacy and the pharmacist looked at his leg and advised him to see a doctor.  In the late afternoon, he went to the hospital and he arrived back to the hostel at 10 PM.  He felt much better after his IV antibiotic treatment.  On Sunday (8-14) we expected to start hiking in the morning but that didn't happen.  When Pilgrim was at the hospital on Saturday, the doctor told him to come back on Sunday for a second round of the IV antibiotic.  He will also take an oral antibiotic for several more days.  All three of us have had different health problems on the trail.  I had the injured ankle, Pilgrim had the leg infection, and Deadman suffered hypothermia back in Georgia.  When Deadman got to Mountain Crossings Hostel in Blairsville, GA at Neel's Gap, all his gear had been wet for two full days. He stumbled into the hostel and he immediately was given a bed to rest.  The hostel operator told the other hikers, "There is a dead man in there."  Hence, the trail name Deadman was born.  On Monday (8-15) the hostel owner shuttled us back to the AT at 7 AM.  Soon after the hike began, the rain started and it didn't quit all day.  The trail was wet, muddy, rocky, and as slippery as ice.  Everyone fell at least once.  When we finally reached S. Arm Road at 3:15 PM, the same hostel owner picked us up once again.  We hiked 10.1 miles.  After 21 weeks (147 days) I have hiked 1,934.5 miles for an average of 13.2 miles per day.  We have 246.5 miles until the end.  I hope to be done and back home in Ohio by the middle of September.

Some people have asked me what I eat on the trail.  When I first started hiking, I "cooked" in the evening.  I made mashed potatoes, Mountain House freeze dried dinners which are dehydrated meals, like astronaut food, and Knorr packaged foods.  After two months of doing this, I no longer felt the need for a hot meal since the weather was quickly heating up.  At the end of May, I sent my stove and pan home.  Now I live on peanut butter/Nutella and cheese on a bagel with every meal.  At breakfast I drink two packages of Carnation Breakfast Essentials, formerly Carnation Instant Breakfast.  At lunch and dinner I drink Crystal Light lemonade and have Oreos for dessert.  I also eat dried fruits, Snickers, and various energy/granola bars.  Of course, I look forward to going to a restaurant when the opportunity comes up.  When we are on the trail, we typically take about a 40 minute lunch break and a few five minute breaks throughout the day.  The rest of the time--surprise, surprise, we hike!

5 comments:

  1. Go Bob. The finish line is near. Who would have thought that this guy from Ohio that I met in South Dakota in May 2010, would be walking the AT from Georgia to Maine in the summer of 2011. All of my friends and family have heard about your adventure. This is the most fantastic journey a friend of mine has attempted, except for the lunar astronauts, of course. Godspeed as you complete the trip you described to me last year. My admiration for you could not be any greater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are still able to truck along. I am sure you will look forward to doing the trucking in a vehicle after this is over. Tell Pilgrim that we hope his leg is doing better if he is still hiking with you. My older brother passed away this morning so I will be gone for a few days, so will check in with your progress when I get back. May God continue to be with you every step of the way and make the rest of the way lighter for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the update about what you eat; definitely something I always wondered about. Can't believe you are almost there! Best wishes for good weather and good health the rest of the way.

    The Harps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Step by step you are getting to the finale! Keep plugging along. It's awesome that you are 256.6 miles from Katahdin. Love getting your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Thome hit career HR #600 Monday night. We were together in Philly the night he hit #400! What a memory. Best wishes for the rest of the trip.

    Al A.

    ReplyDelete