Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lots of Elevations and the Ankle is Improving!

The shuttle picked up several hikers at Chet's Hostel on Monday (8-1) and took us to Franconia Notch.  It was a long day of hiking that lasted from 7:10 AM-7:45 PM.  Franconia Notch has an elevation of 1,450 feet.  I climbed Little Haystack Mountain (4,800 ft) where I had lunch on a rock.  I then climbed over Mt. Lincoln (5,089 ft) and finally over Mt. Lafayette (5,260).  I stealth camped (made my own campsite) at Garfield Pond (3,860 ft).  I went 9.2 miles on a dry day although rain was in the forecast.  I started hiking on Tuesday (8-2) at 7 AM when I rock scrambled (had to use my hands to get up the mountain) Mt. Garfield (4,500 ft).  The descent down to the Galehouse Hut (3,800 ft) where I had lunch was super steep and rugged.  I continued to rock scramble all day.  Rain continued on and off until evening.  During the afternoon I climbed over the South Twin Mountain (4,902 ft) and descended to Mt. Guyot (4,580 ft) soon after.  I stealth camped just inches off the trail.  Unfortunately I had to put my tent up in the rain--not fun!  I went 8.6 miles.  I started hiking at 7:30 AM on Wednesday (8-3).  Packing wet clothes and my wet tent was difficult as I was trying to keep the rest of my gear dry.  Again, I had to do lots of rock scrambling and then it suddenly turned relatively flat and rock free-it was great!  I made it to Saco River (1,277 ft) and I began to partially climb the Webster Cliffs.  I stealth camped again just inches from the trail.  I went 11.0 miles.  On Thursday (8-4) I started at 6:30 AM and finished going over the Webster Cliffs (3,350 ft) and then I tackled Mt. Webster (3,910 ft) followed by Mt. Jackson (4,052 ft).  In the afternoon I climbed Mt. Pierce (4,312 ft) and then Mt. Franklin (5,004 ft).  I finally reached Lake of the Clouds Hut (shelter) at 4 PM and I was able to get a work-for-stay arrangement.  Normally, someone staying at the hut pays $90, which includes dinner and breakfast.  I'll sleep in the hut on the floor on my air mattress and have dinner and breakfast.  In return, I'll wipe up the tables after dinner--easy!  There are only four "jobs" available at this hut.  I hiked 10.0 miles.

My injured ankle has slowly been improving each day, which has been a huge blessing.  The pain has subsided but it is still quite weak.  I pray it continues to heal and that I don't fall and hurt it again.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your progress. I will continue to pray for you.

    Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...$90 for wiping tables...sign me up!!! lol Great to read of your overcoming the obstacles in life. Your journey could be a good lesson for others. Knowing that life is a bit like hiking the AT...Mountains and valleys, sunshine and rain, pleasure and sorrow, all add to the gain. The journey of life with it's roots, hills, and rocks, the pain in the body, the soaking wet socks. Stride purposely, choose wise, with your eye on the prize. You'll reap the reward, as you walk with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to what Mark said as it is very true. God Speed and may the rest of the trip be fall free and dry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Bob. You inspire all who read about your adventure, as you proceed towards attaining your goal even though you are injured. You have my prayers and support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep moving buckeye. Porter and Pace are pulling for you

    Pace & Porter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bob,
    I've been following your journey for awhile now. Pat sent me the link. Great Job! Look forward to hearing your Stories From The Trail when you're next in West Palm Beach. God Speed, I'll pray for you sunshine and rainbows. Tim Phillips

    ReplyDelete