Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hiking Again with "Pilgrim" and Now "Deadman" Too

This is how I spent my day on Friday (8-5)--hiking over rock, after rock, after rock.  This is the trail, believe it or not, and it was like this for almost the entire seven miles.  It seemed like 21 miles though.  It was the most physically and mentally exhausting day since I started in Georgia back in March.
I was so glad to finally reach the hut and be done for the day.  I expected to do kitchen work at Madison Spring Hut for my work-for-stay obligation.  Instead, the hut manager asked me give a talk to guests/vacationers on thru-hiking the AT.  I spoke for about 10 minutes and then answered several questions.  People were very attentive and seemed to be quite interested.  Several people told me they thoroughly enjoyed it.  I slept on an air mattress on the floor again as did two other hikers who also did work-for-stay.  I started hiking on Saturday (8-6) at 6 AM and went from the hut (4,300 ft) and over and down Mount Madison (5,366 ft).  Here is a picture looking back after I had already climbed it.  You can see the narrow dirt path in the front of the picture.  That is the AT.

When I reached Pinkham Notch, I was picked up by a hostel shuttle.  When Pilgrim and Deadman finally arrived at the hostel, I was able to surprise them!  They have been hiking together since I got hurt on July 28 and they were really happy to see me.  Deadman is a great guy about my age who lives in Georgia.  They had planned a zero hiking day for Sunday and agreed to take another zero day on Monday so I could catch up with them since I was two hiking days behind.  The three of us hope to finish the AT together.  Pray that this happens!  In the evening we resupplied and enjoyed dinner while we rehashed what has happened since we had last seen each other.  I hiked 7.8 miles.  On Sunday (8-7) the hostel shuttle took me back to Pinkham Notch at 8 AM to resume my hike.  I hiked from Pinkham Notch (2,050 ft) on a rainy and dark day up Wildcat Mountain (4,422 ft).  I had to rock scramble (rock climb, use my hands) the entire way.  In one very precarious scramble position, in my head I could hear my deceased mother say, "Bobby, get down from there!"  I thought to myself, "I'd be glad to!"  I descended to Carter Notch Hut (3,350 ft) for lunch and then climbed Carter Dome (4,832 ft).  Again, I went 7.8 miles.  I started hiking at 6 AM on Monday (8-8).  Rain started mid-morning and continued intermittently for several hours.  I descended to 3,915 ft, climbed back up to 4,618 ft, descended again to 3,100 ft, and then climbed to 4,000 ft.  My final descent of the day was to 780 ft when I reached the hostel at 4:45 PM.  I hiked 13.3 miles.  After 20 weeks (140 days) I have hiked 1,880.4 miles for an average of 13.4 miles per day.  Once again my ankle is getting a little bit better with each passing day.  I hope it is 100% soon.  I plan to wear the ankle brace for extra support all the way to the end of the trail--300 more miles!  I'll be entering Maine, the last state on the AT, on Wednesday (8-10). 

6 comments:

  1. Bob, congratulations on making it over Mt. Madison. I had a tough time with it too. It makes me feel better to hear that a thru-hiker was challenged by it.
    Good luck on the rest of your trip. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be following your blog posts.
    Sincerely,
    Carl Wentzel (my son and I met you at Lakes of Clouds)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cherish the last 300!
    Michelle Schulz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that Dead Man and Pligram are still on the trail. I hope the three of you finish.

    Enjoy Maine it was our favorite state.

    Porter&Pace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those rocks sure do not look like the AT to me. Was it a surprise for you ? A mere 300 miles by early September looks doable, since you have covered 1880 miles to date. Hopefully you do not have any more setbacks while attaining your final destination in Maine. May your future hikes bring only good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The people who run the AT have a masochistic interpretation of what is a trail. Certainly they could have come up with less dangerous route. Oh well, congratulations for meeting the challenge and enduring under extremely difficult conditions. My family is rooting for you to avoid any further injury or harm and reach your final destination. Go Buckeyeflash!!!

    Larry Bender

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are doing better each day and got to meet up with your buddies again. Will send a prayer up for all of you to be able to continue without any more problems. Does anyone ever do this from Maine to Georgia? Have enjoyed being able to go along on this trip even if it is only through the e-mails. May God continue to Bless and Keep you safe and well.

    ReplyDelete