Saturday, July 30, 2011

Injury

On Tuesday (7-26) I took my first zero day of hiking since my family visited 50 days ago in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.  We had breakfast at at local pancake restaurant.  Pilgrim made an afternoon medical appointment for his pulled muscle. We resupplied and did laundry and then parents of a hiker drove two hours to the hostel and brought everyone deli meats and cheese, rolls, pop, fruit, and chocolate bars.  It was an unexpected lunch (trail magic) for all eight hikers who were there.  On Wednesday (7-27) the shuttle picked us up on a cloudy and cool day.  We resumed our hike at 7AM at Kinsman Notch in the White Mountains of NH.  We had a 1,600 foot rocky and steep climb over Mount Wolf.  Pilgrim is better but his leg is still bothering him.  He didn't want to continue climbing since we were about to face a 2,100 foot ascent over the very difficult Kinsman Mountain.   We stopped hiking at 2 PM and took a two hour nap.  We hiked 7.5 miles for the day.  Our day on Thursday (7-28) began on a cool morning.  We had heard how difficult it was to get over the Kinsman Mountain due to the extreme terrain.  We had to use our hands many times but we finally reached the summit by 10:30 AM.  Here is one view.

Unfortunately when I was coming down,  I fell on the steep rock descent and twisted my ankle.  I hobbled down a little ways to Kinsman Pond Shelter and Campsite.  Another thru-hiker (Dead Man) helped me by carrying my backpack.  The caretaker at the campsite gave me cold water for the swollen ankle and she wrapped it in a bandage.  I was able to set up my tent and elevate the ankle for a few hours.  I can walk on it but hiking in rough terrain will be a problem in the near future.  I'm taking Ibuprofen to treat the inflammation.  My ankle was moderately swollen in the morning on Friday (7-29).  I decided to call a retired orthopedic doctor, Dr. Kim Brown, for advice on my ankle.  I met him 10 days ago when Pilgrim and I were in Lake George, New York.  I described the condition of my ankle and Dr. Brown thought I had a moderate to severe strain.  He suggested I walk on a flat surface for several minutes and then gradually increase the duration of the walk as my ankle improves.  He also suggested the Aircast ankle brace to stabilize the side-to-side movement.  I ordered the brace by phone from a pharmacy in Lincoln, New Hampshire.  I’m hoping a thru-hiker who is in Lincoln can bring it to me on Saturday.  I urged Pilgrim to continue his hike this morning since I may not start to hike again for a few days or possibly longer.  He reluctantly agreed.  I am hoping to catch up with him in either northern New Hampshire or southern Maine.  Pray my ankle will heal and I'll be able to continue soon.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of this set back for you. Hope it gets better quickly, but do not rush it and hurt it worse. Will pray that you heal quickly and can finish without any more problems. Take care. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, Praying that your ankle will heal quickly. Relax, reflect, and then resume!!! All in God's timing..your doing fantastic, and again I just wish I was hiking it with you!!!
    Your Old Student,
    Mark Gwynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob, Very sorry to hear about your ankle injury. Hopefully, healing will be quick so you may continue on this fantastic journey. Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's no good. It's scary to think that we're not home free yet, as close as it seems we are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob: You're a tough guy and I am praying that your ankle heals so you can complete your life objective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. praying this is just a minor setback. take your time to heal and get back on the trail only when you are truly feeling ready!

    loving the updates,

    the harps

    ReplyDelete
  7. bob SORRY TO READ ABOUT YOUR INJURY, BUT I HAVE CONPLETE FAITH IN YOU. yOU THE MAN. JIM MCGINTY

    ReplyDelete