Saturday, July 2, 2011

Visiting NY Friends

My day on Tuesday (6-28) started with Pilgrim at 7:25 AM.  I have decided to hike with him for the foreseeable future.  Our pace is quite similar and we get along well.  We experienced trail magic twice.  After crossing two roads there were gallons of spring water available for thru-hikers.  There was no other water source for 12 miles so the water was perfect.  It was nice to fill my CamelBak and water bottle with it and I didn't need to treat or filter the water.  We had lunch at the info center/bookstore of the Palisades International Parkway which was .4 miles off the AT.  Here is a picture of the Lemon Squeezer on the trail.  It is just two feet wide and 17 feet long.  The first picture is blurry but you can get an idea of how tight the squeeze is for me.
We followed the AT right through Bear Mountain Zoo.  Pilgrim continued to the Graymoor Spiritual Life Center to stay for the day.  I was picked up at 5:15 PM by Rosemary Burns and she took me to her house in Cortlandt Manor, NY.  I met Rosemary and Artie in May of 2010 on the Grand Circle Tour of the Western US National Parks.  After a shower and dinner, Artie took me to the grocery store to resupply.  I stayed with them overnight.  I hiked 14.2 miles.  On Wednesday (6-29) Artie drove me back to the trail.  I hiked just 6.4 miles so I could begin hiking on Thursday with Pilgrim from the Graymoor.  In the afternoon Artie took me to West Point to tour the campus.  It is a very impressive facility.  We walked on the football field, went to see the beautiful chapel and Eisenhower Hall Theater, saw the parade grounds, and drove around the whole campus.  Artie was a great tour guide.  In the evening I talked about my AT adventure with several of their neighbors.  They saw my pictures I have taken with my regular camera on a large TV screen.  It was a fun night and I really appreciated all Rosemary and Artie did for me while I was visiting them.  On Thursday (6-30) they drove me back to the  Graymoor so I could meet up with Pilgrim again.  We began hiking at 8:30 AM.  At 9:30 AM we came upon trail magic of cold pop.  We hiked until 5:45 PM when we reached the RPH shelter.  I hiked 18.8 miles.   Friday (7-1) was a cool and dry day.  We had lunch at the Morgan Stewart Shelter.  I decided to nap after lunch and slept for 30 minutes and Pilgrim continued hiking without me.  I enjoyed walking slowly to catch up with him.  One toe on my left foot hurts from the pounding it has taken.  Avoiding as many rocks as possible and walking slower help ease the pain.  There were no great camping spots but we found an area that was adequate at best.  I hiked 16.8 miles.

3 comments:

  1. Man that looks like a small 2 feet between those rocks. Glad you are still doing well and it is so nice that people along the way leave things for you all to have. There is so many wonderful people in this world, so good to hear about some of them. Glad you had a nice visit with your friends. That is what my husband and I have always enjoyed about traveling is all the wonderful people we have meet and some do become your friends and that is greater still. Have a great 4th. Hope you get a high spot to see some of the fireworks. Tell Pilgrim "Hi" if you are still walking together. Hope the toe gets to feeling better. May God continue to Bless and keep you safe and well. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to visit West Point. When we were in Colorado, I visited the Air Force Academy which was the last of the 4 Service Academies I have visited. You spent the day cycling around Denver, which was more your style. Seeing Artie and Rosemary must have been a blast as they are two fine people. Still hoping to see you on July 18, 19 or 20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved the pictures of the lemon squeezer. you are doing great!

    the harps

    ReplyDelete