Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Big Storm

I started hiking at 9:30 AM on Friday (6-10).  I stopped to visit the AT Museum in Pine Grove Forest State Park.  The museum displays Grandma Gatewood's hiking gear which includes a canvas backpack and the shoes she wore while hiking.

































She was born in 1888 in Ohio and she successfully thru-hiked the AT three times.  The first time she was successful was in 1955 when she was 67.  She wore tennis shoes and carried an army blanket, a raincoat, and a plastic shower curtain, which was carried in a homemade bag slung over one shoulder. It was fascinating to look back through all the AT history.  After lunch I felt tired so I rested an hour on my Tyvek sheet in the shade.  I reached Boiling Springs at 7:15 PM and ate dinner at Caffe (yes, that is spelled right, two f's) 101.  I stayed the night at the Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse.  The thru-hikers have a special rate at this plush resort of $40 which included an excellent dinner.  I hiked 19.4 miles.  On Saturday morning (6-11) I walked 10 minutes back to the AT and started hiking at 9 AM.  The hike had two distinct parts.  The first 12-13 miles was flat and the trail winded through farmlands where corn, wheat, and soybeans were growing.  Some fields were just uncut high grass with the small AT path.  About 1/3 of the time I was in the shade of nearby trees, which was nice.  It was very hot so being in the sun for several hours was bearable.  After lunch at Darlington Shelter, I napped for a little over an hour on a wooden bunk in the shelter.  The second part of the hike was over an uneven and rocky terrain.  After a steep descent for the last 30 minutes, I reached Duncannon at 8:15 PM and ate what was called a "hearty haddock dinner" at a hostel called The Doyle.  At 9 PM I walked another mile to a campground on the Susquehanna River.  During my stay at the campground, many trains passed about 80 yards from my tent.  A few trains sounded like they might hit my tent.  I hiked 25.7 miles, a PR which I doubt will be topped on the rest of my journey.  On Sunday (6-12) I left the campground at 8 AM and had breakfast and bought some supplies at a Pilot truck stop.  Coming out of any town on the trail is tough as the towns have a much lower elevation than the surrounding mountains, so up and up I went, sweating profusely.  Of all the 14 states on the AT, PA is known as the rockiest.  At 1:30 PM I reached the parking lot on PA 225 and enjoyed trail magic of pop and a candy bar.  I started on my way towards the next shelter 3 miles away.  After I traveled about 1/4 mile, it began to rain.  It quickly started pouring and before I knew it, hail was pelting me and rain was coming down in buckets.  Within just a few quick minutes the trail turned into a creek and the water was running above my boots and my boots were filled with water for the first time ever on the trail.  I was cold and soaked.  I thought about hiking ahead to the shelter but decided that my wisest decision was to go back to the parking lot.  I turned around and when I got back to the parking lot, I saw four cars.  I approached one car with a man and woman in it.  I had seen them several minutes before as they were out hiking for the day.  I asked them if they knew where the closest motel would be located.  The man, Rick Steele, offered to drive me and all my soaking wet gear to a motel.  I arrived at the Days Inn in Harrisburg at 2:15 PM and the storm was still very much in full force.  I checked in for the night.  Although I only hiked 8 miles, I was thrilled to be able to do laundry, take a shower, and eat a meal at the Wendy's next door.  What a day!  Thank you Rick!  On Monday (6-13) after breakfast at the hotel, I got a ride at 7:40 AM from "Trail Magic Mary" to where I left off before the big storm which was 7 miles away.  Mary lives in Duncannon and is well-known in the thru-hiker community as someone who helps out hikers.  I started back on the trail at 8 AM.  I have noticed after heavy rain there are cobwebs everywhere so I use my hiking stick to clear the way.  It was a cool day which was really nice for hiking.  Although there were rocks everywhere, there were no steep ascents or descents and my feet thanked me!  The highest ascent I climbed for the day was 1,100 feet but that was over several miles.  I napped for an hour mid-afternoon and hiked until 7 PM.  I tented just before Rausch Gap Shelter.  I went 20 miles.  After 12 weeks, I have gone 1,166 miles for an average of 13.9 miles per day.  Carry on!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Bob! We two Tennesseans are amazed at your progress! We especially think of you when we are sleeping in warm, dry comfortable beds and are totally in awe of your fortitude. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BG: Each segment gets more interesting than the last one. You are a true Mountain Man, in the spirit of Jerimiah Johnson.

    Stay strong.............JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am enjoying your trip and all the interesting twists and turns of it. Hope you are writing it all down as I am sure it will be something for your family to be proud of for a long time. Hope you continue in good health, are able to stay dry and to find shady walking trails on hot days. May Good continue to Bless and keep you. Mary

    ReplyDelete